Orange chilli pork chops
Surprise your palette with this playful combination of sweet and heat. It’s so effortless it’s sure to be added to the weeknight rotation.
- 4 pork chops, 1 1/2” thick
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp grated orange peel
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
In a bowl, combine honey, seasonings and orange peel; mix well. Spread over one side of pork chops. Place honey-side down on grill over MEDIUM – LOW heat and barbecue 4 – 6 minutes per side, brushing remaining honey mixture over other side of meat.
Thai-style steamed fish
Serve with Thai jasmine rice for a flavour-packed low-fat meal.
- 2 trout fillets, each weighing about 140g/5oz
- a small knob of fresh root ginger , peeled and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small red chilli (not bird’s eye), seeded and finely chopped
- grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 baby pak choi, each quartered lengthways
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Place the fish fillets side by side on a large square of foil and scatter the ginger, garlic, chilli and lime zest over them. Drizzle the lime juice on top and then scatter the pieces of pak choi around and on top of the fish. Pour the soy sauce over the pak choi and loosely seal the foil to make a package, making sure you leave space at the top for the steam to circulate as the fish cooks.
- Steam for 15 minutes. (If you haven’t got a steamer, put the parcel on a heatproof plate over a pan of gently simmering water, cover with a lid and steam.)
Try serving with Thai jasmine rice, and if you’ve got some sesame seeds, toast a handful and toss them into the rice just before serving.
Lemony chicken burgers with roasted red pepper sauce
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
- 6 Spring onions, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 burger buns
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 large roasted red peppers, peeled and seeded
- 8 Spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly mix ground chicken, spinach, spring onion, egg, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper. Form into 8 patties and chill for 30 minutes.
- To grill burgers: Preheat barbecue on MEDIUM/HIGH, and oil the grids generously to prevent sticking. Place the patties on the grill, and reduce heat to MEDIUM. Place patties on the barbecue, and sear 3 minutes per side, taking care not to press down the patties.
- Reduce heat to LOW and continue cooking for another 3 minutes per side until juicy but cooked through. Refer to guide for Perfect Grill Marks. Lightly toast the buns during the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Serve on toasted burgerbuns, topped with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.
- Sauce: Sauté onion and garlic very gently. Add to food processor with remaining ingredients and process until well blended.
Summer braised chicken with tomatoes A simple light casserole with cannellini beans, basil and green chilli served with gluten-free Parmesan cornmeal
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 banana shallot, finely sliced
- 4 chicken legs
- 300ml gluten-free chicken stock
- 2 large garlic clove, peeled but left whole
- a few lemon thyme sprigs
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green chilli, finely sliced
- 175g quick-cook fine polenta
- 85g finely grated Parmesan
- knob of butter
- small bunch basil, leaves picked and torn, to serve
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a shallow flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Throw in the shallots and soften, then remove and set aside. Season the chicken, turn up the heat and add to the pan with the remaining oil, browning all over. Return the shallots to the dish, pour over the stock and add the garlic, thyme, tomatoes, beans and chilli. Bring to the boil, cover and put in the oven for 30 mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the lid and cook for 10 mins more to reduce the sauce.
- Meanwhile, pour the polenta into 700ml boiling water while whisking. Cook for 2 mins (or according to pack instructions). Season generously, remove from the heat and stir through the Parmesan and butter. Serve the polenta with the chicken on top, scattered with basil.