Ginger veggie stir-fry
1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 1/2 cloves garlic, crushed, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger root, divided, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided, 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets, 1/2 cup snap peas, 3/4 cup julienned carrots, 1/2 cup halved green beans, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 1/2 tablespoons water, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/2 tablespoon salt
Preparation time – 25 minutes. Cooking time – 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, blend cornstarch, garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until cornstarch is dissolved. Mix in broccoli, snow peas, carrots, and green beans, tossing to lightly coat.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Cook vegetables in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Stir in soy sauce and water. Mix in onion, salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon ginger. Cook until vegetables are tender but still crisp
Crusty macaroni cheese
2 cups macaroni, 1/4 cup butter, divided, 1 small onion, chopped, 2 tablespoons plain flour, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco), 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard, 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
Preparation Time – 20 minutes. Cooking time – 55 minutes
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch glass baking dish.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain and mix with half of the butter.
- While the macaroni is boiling, melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onions, and cook until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the flour, and cook 5 minutes longer. Add the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook and stir until the milk has thickened, about 10 minutes. Once thick and smooth, stir in the salt, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, mustard, 2 cups of Cheddar cheese, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheeses have melted, then stir in the macaroni until evenly coated. Scrape into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the top. Toss the remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese with the dry bread crumbs in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the macaroni.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the macaroni is hot and the crust is golden brown, for about 30 minutes
Barley mushroom risotto
5 cups chicken broth, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 onion, chopped, 1 cup pearl barley, 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound mushrooms, sliced, 2 garlic, chopped, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preparation Time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 50 minutes.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute for 5 minutes. Add the barley, thyme, bay leaf and 2 cups of the hot broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low, and simmer until most of the broth is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Pour in remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring and allowing it to become absorbed before adding more. This process takes about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Saute mushrooms in the hot oil until tender. Add garlic, and cook for about 3 more minutes. Stir in the barley mixture and parsley. Remove bay leaf, and serve.