Caramelised onion and gouda stuffed chicken
2 tablespoons butter, 2 onions, sliced, 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, 4 Gouda Cheese Slices, or more as needed 1 (4.75oz) packet seasoned coating mix for chicken
Preparation time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 60 minutes.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and saute until golden brown, stirring frequently. Continue cooking over medium-low heat until onions turn deeper brown, 35 to 45 minutes. If they start to burn, reduce heat. When completely caramelised, remove frying pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast. Evenly stuff pockets with 1 or 2 slices of Gouda cheese (depending on size of breast) and 1 tablespoon caramelised onions.
- Place seasoned coating mix in a shallow dish. Evenly dip each chicken breast in coating mix and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until chicken breasts are no longer pink in the centre and the juices run clear, 20 to 30 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the centre should read at least 165ºF (74ºC).
Ham and potato soup
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes, 1/3 cup diced celery, 1/3 cup finely chopped onion, 3/4 cup diced cooked ham, 3 1/4 cups water, 2 tablespoons chicken gravy granules, 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste, 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste, 5 tablespoons butter, 5 tablespoons plain flour, 2 cups milk
Preparation Time – 20 minutes. Cooking time – 25 minutes
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, and then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken gravy granules, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
Roasted garlic cauliflower
2 tablespoons minced garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper to taste, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Preparation Time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF (220ºC). Grease a large casserole dish.
- Place the olive oil and garlic in a large re-sealable bag. Add cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley, and then grill for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.