Rosemary braised lamb shanks
6 lamb shanks, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 onions, chopped, 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds, 10 cloves garlic, minced, 1 (750ml) bottle red wine, 1 (28oz) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice, 1 (10.5oz) can condensed chicken soup, 1 (10.5oz) can beef broth, 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Preparation time – 30 minutes. Cooking time – 2 hours
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides for about 8 minutes. Transfer shanks to plate.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth. Season with rosemary and thyme. Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove cover from pot. Simmer about 20 minutes longer. Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven. Boil juices in pot until thickened for about 15 minutes. Spoon over shanks.
1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 clove garlic, minced, 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 pound salmon
Preparation Time – 10 minutes. Cooking time – 20 minutes
- In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.
All-day apple butter
5 ½ pounds apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped, 4 cups white sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, ¼ teaspoon salt
Preparation Time – 30 minutes. Cooking time – 11 hours.
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.