1 cup rice , 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 onion, diced, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 cups water, 4 sprigs fresh coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 drops lemon juice
Preparation time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 25 minutes.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add rice and mix until clumps form.
- Stir water, corriander, salt, and lemon juice into the saucepan. Simmer uncovered until most of the water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover, and cook until rice is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Curried coconut chicken
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste, 1 & 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons curry powder, 1/2 onion, thinly sliced, 2 cloves garlic, crushed, 1 (14oz) can coconut milk, 1 (14oz) can stewed, diced tomatoes, 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce, 3 tablespoons sugar
Preparation Time – 20 minutes. Cooking time – 50 minutes
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and curry powder in a large frying pan over medium-high heat for two minutes. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in centre and juices run clear.
- Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Creamy caramel flan
3/4 cup white sugar, 1 (8oz) packet cream cheese, softened, 5 eggs, 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk, 1 (12 fluid oz) can evaporated milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation Time – 15 minutes. Cooking time – 1 hour & 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook sugar, stirring, until golden. Pour into a 10 inch round baking dish, tilting to coat bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Beat in condensed and evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into caramel coated pan. Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes, until centre is just set. Cool one hour on wire rack, then chill in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. To unmold, run a knife around edges of pan and invert on a rimmed serving platter.