CASA HOGAR, the orphanage in the centre of Vera, is facing a bill of almost €22,000 to make urgent repairs to maintain a safe and healthy environment for those who live and work there.
The building has become very run down with numerous leaks due to the poor condition of the roof, leading to collapsing ceilings and damp walls.
The home has been open since 1872 and has a capacity to care for 24 children up to 18 years of age – providing care, comfort and encouragement to orphans and underprivileged and, occasionally, abused children and young adults.
Its main characteristic is to guarantee adequate attention to minors, in all their basic needs as well as leisure and culture, enhancing learning experiences and access to social resources under the same conditions as any other person of their age.
The main purpose of the home is to create a space where children are looked after, promoting their development as people, combining technical quality and human warmth.
How can you help?
To be able to assist in guaranteeing the future of the orphanage through giving, Shea Fox at Restaurant La Paratá in Mojácar and his fundraising team would like you all to contribute through donations – either by attending a fundraising afternoon on 6 November, with a three-course lunch, live music from Ashley and Dainius, raffle, auction and other activities, donating directly to the orphanage or offering gifts to raffle or auction on the afternoon.
For those who wish to donate to the event or directly to the orphanage:
- Please book a table at Shea’s for 6 November and Shea will make a substantial contribution to the appeal. To reserve, please call Shea’s Restaurant La Paratá on 950 478 186.
- Donate raffle prizes or auction items – for further information on donating money, raffle prices or auction lots, please contact Keith Holland on 636 798 950.
- Buckets and jars are available at Shea’s Restaurant La Paratá and in the Iceland/International supermarket in Vera for cash donations.
- The bank account for donations is: Casa Hogar IBAN ES89 2103 5960 4503 5000 0019.
- The Centre is inscribed in the Register of Religious Entities with the Number 1639-i.