Do you know what to do when you see lights and sirens approaching?
If an emergency vehicle is approaching and is sounding an alarm or showing flashing lights, you must move out of the path of the emergency vehicle as soon as you can do so safely.
Tips for assisting our emergency services response vehicles:
1. Do not panic.
2. Slow down (but do not break rapidly).
3. Use your indicators. (Emergency lights to warn other drivers)
4. Be aware of other motorists.
5. Move as far to the right of the road as you can.
6. If you cannot move out of the path safely, stay where you are and let the emergency vehicle drive around you.
It is an offence not to give way to an emergency vehicle. Please do the right thing — look, listen and move out of the path.
An obstructed journey can be the difference between life and death. Don’t panic, slow down, give-way and indicate.
On the following picture, we show you what to do depending on the road you are driving.